I. Each of the following incomplete statements is followed by four alternatives. Read each statement and the four alternatives carefully and decide which of the four alternatives best completes the statement and blacken your answer on the ANSWER sheET.(20%)
1. Language is vocal. This statement means that the primary medium of language is _____.
C. body language
D. native language
2. A person who cannot read or write is only an “illiterate”. However, a person who cannot speak is normally regarded as “disabled”. This fact shows _____.
A. speech existed long before the writing system came into being
B. normal children always learn to speak first
C. speech is more important than writing for people’s daily life
D. written symbols are designed to represent speech
3. “Statesman” and “politician” can both be used to refer to a high government official. “Politician” conveys a derogative meaning while “statesman” does not. In this sense, the two words are mainly distinguished by their _____ meaning.
4. Which of the following pairs of English expressions and their Chinese equivalents is NOT correct?
A. house-warming—房屋供暖 B. wall clock—挂钟
C. stop watch—跑表 D. contact lenses—隐形眼镜
5. In which sentence does “it” function only as a grammatical subject and not refer to anything?
Sentence 1: It is raining.
Sentence 2: It is 9:00 o ’clock.
Sentence 3: It is very cold.
Sentence 4: It is my book.
A. Sentence 1,2
B. Sentence 3,4
C. Sentence 1,2,3
D. Sentence 2,3,4
6. How many morphemes are there in the word “international”?
7. You invite your English speaking friend to have dinner in your house. When he compliments that the food is very tasty, your response might be “_____”.
A. No, it’s not good at all. B. Thank you. I’m glad you like it.
C. You are so nice to say so. D. My cooking is poor.
8. “Excuse me” can be used in the following occasions EXCEPT _____.
A. when people want to pass in front of others
B. when people want to leave a party
C. when people are a few minutes late for an appointment
D. when people want to excuse themselves from company
9. “Red tape” means _____.
A. a red cassette
B. the rigid unnecessary official rules and regulations
C. the necessary official rules and regulations
D. a red string
10. The English equivalent for “前车之覆，后车之鉴” can be“ _____”.
A. rats desert a sinking ship
B. a small leak will sink a great ship
C. he that would sail without danger must never come on the main sea
D. let another’s shipwreck be your seamark
11. What does the expression “a blue fit” mean in informal English?
A. a girl’s dress
C. unhappy feelings
D. a sad day
12. What is the meaning of “a bear” in “He is a bear at fine arts.”?
A. a huge guy
B. a wealthy man
C. good at
13. A Chinese shows respect not only to a superior as his interlocutor. He uses honorifics to refer to his superior no matter whether his superior is present or not. For example, an emperor was called _____ when he was referred to in speeches or letters.
14. Euphemisms are also frequently used in education. If a teacher describes a student as “being able to do better work with help”, he might mean that the student is _____.
C. cheating in class
15. The logical relation the sentences below exhibit is _____.
－Are your parents coming to the Expo Sites?
－Yes, they are.
16. What is the logical relation of the sentences below?
“Tickets, please. ” said the conductor. In a moment passengers were holding out their tickets.
17. Uranium is the god of _____.
A. heavens and father of Titans
B. the sea, son of Saturn and brother of Jupiter
C. agriculture and father of Jupiter
D. the sky and the king of the gods
18. In contemporary legal documents _____ are used thinly.
A. loan words
C. punctuation marks
D. long sentences
19. Crossing one’s forefinger and middle finger signifies_____ in English speaking countries.
B. good luck
20. In proxemics scholars are particularly interested in the _____ between interlocutors in interpersonal communication.
A. relative rights
D. relative obligation
II. Each of the following incomplete statements is followed by four alternatives. Read each statement and the four alternatives carefully and decide what alternatives can complete the statement and blacken your answer(s) on the ANSWER SHEET. There might be more than one correct answer. (10%)
21. Language is not entirely arbitrary. The words which have association with the sounds or the meaning of the compounds are not arbitrary. Which of the following English or Chinese words are NOT created arbitrarily?
22. Affective meaning is communicated when the feelings or attitudes are expressed in language.
Which of the following expressions are chiefly used to convey affective meaning?
A. My god!
B. It’s my book.
C. You are a liar.
D. You are a student.
23. Which of the following words have more than one morpheme?
24. The personal names related to the date of birth are quite popular in China. Which of the following names can reflect such feature?
A. 蒋飞扬 B.贾元春
C. 蔡国庆 D.潘长江
25. “To ride one’s high horse” means _____.
A. to be proud
B. to be haughty
C. to be energetic
D. to be arrogant
26. “Purple” in English culture is often associated with_____.
A. high rank or station
B. low rank or station
C. imperial or royal rank
D. something best
27. Which of the following is the euphemism of “poor”?
28. In the normal text sentences are connected _____.
29. Regulators, which help us to interact with other people, include _____.
B. hand gestures
D. head nods
30. Human beings have a strong sense of territory and their territories can be classified into the following categories _____.
III. Fill in each underlined space with a proper expression. (20%)
31. The thinking in which images are particularly attended to is called _____ thinking, which the Chinese people are particularly good at.
32. The Thames is a _____ in Britain.
33. The derivational morpheme in word “teacher” is_____.
34. Terms of family relationships like mother, father, son, uncle, or more familiar terms like mom, dad, and aunty are termed as standard _____.
35. The English equivalent for “坐失良机” is “to miss the _____”.
36. In English _____ is often used metaphorically to mean gloomy or dismal.
37. Terms of humility are used to show the speaker’s _____.
38. Induction means the drawing of a general _____ from a number of known facts.
39. ____ in English is often used metaphorically to refer to a formidably fierce, cruel person, especially a woman.
40. Of the five categories of gestures _____ are perhaps the most important one because they are intentional behaviours with widely agreed meanings in a society.
IV. Answer the following questions briefly. (12%)
41. What are the properties of culture?
42. Both “pretty” and “handsome” mean nice looking. But “pretty” is often used together with “girl”, “woman”, “flower”, etc. “Handsome” frequently appears together with “boy”， “man”,“car”, etc. In what meaning are these two words different?
43. Give examples to show the differences in what can be advertised between English and Chinese culture.
44. How hitchhiking is symbolized in English culture?
V. Translation. (18%)
45. He is not a man to act rashly.
46. She is in a family way.
47. your father(用敬语翻译)
VI. Discuss the following topics. (20%)
51. In the United States, the black people used to be called as nigers. which is quite offensive. State the euphemisms of nigers in time consequence.
52. Explain the kinds of societies that are divided based on psychological time orientation.